Programs: Public Health
Jamie Tessler is an occupational ergonomist and safety professional with extensive experience in a wide range of industries. In the research field, Jamie has designed tools to measure musculoskeletal exposures among healthcare workers in prospective epidemiologic studies, and safety management systems among construction subcontractors. She has designed a wide range of evidence-based safety training programs across the literacy spectrum, encompassing both occupational and environmental hazards from industrial and organizational processes. Jamie is specifically interested in the role of gender in the design of human-computer workstations and the unique hazards faced by immigrant and other vulnerable workers.
- MS, Occupational Ergonomics and Safety, University of Massachusetts Lowell
- MPH, Hunter College School of Health Sciences/CUNY
Occupational ergonomics, prevention through design, gender and workstation design, safety management systems, safety climate, health and safety of healthcare workers, interventions to promote comprehensive injury prevention programs in healthcare facilities.
- Schwatka N, Trieu H, Dennerlein J, Tessler J, Goldenhar L, Beldon M, Fuller M, Johnson S (2019) A training intervention to improve frontline construction leaders’ safety leadership practices and overall jobsite safety climate. Journal of Safety Research (in press). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsr.2019.04.010
- Liu KH , Tessler J, Murphy LA , Chang CC , Dennerlein J. The Gap Between Tools and Best Practice: An Analysis of Safety Prequalification Surveys in the Construction Industry. NEW SOLUTIONS: A Journal of Environmental and Occupational Health Policy 2019, Vol. 28(4) 683–703. DOI: 10.1177/1048291118813583.
- Tessler, J (2018). Staying Connection around Income Inequality [Review of the book Born on Third Base by Chuck Collins]. New Solutions: A Journal of Environmental and Occupational Health Policy, Vol 28(4) 726-730. https://doi.org/10.1177/1048291118813583
- Park JK, Boyer J, Tessler J, Casey J, Gore R, Schemm L, Punnett L and the Promoting Healthy and Safe Employment (PHASE) in Healthcare Team. Inter-rater reliability of PATH observations for assessment of ergonomic risk factors in hospital work. Ergonomics, 1366-5847, Volume 52, Issue 7, 2009, Pages 820-829.
- Cifuentes M, Boyer J, Gore R, d’Errico A, Scollin P, Tessler J, Lerner D, Kriebel D, Punnett L, et al. Job strain predicts survey response in healthcare industry workers. Amer J Industrial Med 2008; 51(4): 281-289.
- d’Errico A, Punnett L, Cifuentes M, Boyer J, Tessler J, Gore R, et al. Hospital injury rates in relation to socioeconomic status and working conditions. Occup Envir Med 2007;64;325-333.
- Cifuentes M, Gore R, Boyer J, Tessler J, d’Errico A, Scollin P, Lerner D, Kriebel D, Punnett L, PHASE in Healthcare Research Team. Inter-method agreement between O*NET and survey measures of psychosocial exposure among healthcare industry employees. Amer J Industrial Med 2007; 50(7):545-553.