Non Degree Students
Students interested in enrolling in just a few courses in the Public Health programs without matriculating fully into a degree-granting program are welcome to apply as a non-degree student. Registration is limited to non-degree students on a seat-available basis. To enroll in a course, non-degree students must complete our non-degree student application and obtain approval from the course instructor.
Non-degree students include persons interested in completing courses for personal or professional enrichment and current Tufts students in other programs or schools interested in taking courses for credit in their degree program. Non-degree enrollment is offered in the following programs:
- Public Health (PH prefixed courses)
- Health Communication (HCOM prefixed courses)
- Teaching the Great Diseases
Upcoming Public Health courses can be found organized by semester on our Academic Calendar and Course Schedule.
Some non-degree students later decide to apply to matriculate fully into a degree program. If admitted, a maximum of 6 credits (generally 2 courses) taken as a non-degree student can be applied to a Public Health degree program, and the student must have earned a B or better in the non-degree course.
Registration Dates and Deadlines
To ensure adequate processing time application should be submitted no later than two weeks prior to semester start date. Applications submitted after this date will be accepted and reviewed on a case by case basis.
|Semester||Registration Period||Non-Degree Application Deadline|
|Fall||June 15 - August 31, 2021||August 16, 2020|
|Spring||November 27, 2020 - January 15, 2021||January 5, 2021|
|Summer||April 30 - May 22, 2021||May 7, 2021|
Non-Degree Application and Registration Process
Please follow the steps below to enroll as a non-degree student.
- Submit a completed Non-Degree Student Application.
- Your application must include an unofficial copy of your transcript demonstrating undergraduate degree (bachelor’s degree) conferral. Current Tufts undergraduate students should contact the PHPD Registrar about this requirement.
- The PHPD Registrar’s Office will review your application and contact you via email if it is approved.
- Contact the instructor(s) for the course in which you would like to enroll to request permission. Submit our Course Add/Drop Form to the PHPD Registrar’s Office, signed by the instructor. Please note that the instructor’s signature is required but does not guarantee a seat in the course; registration is processed on a seat-available basis.
- The PHPD Registrar’s Office will review the Course Add Form and officially register you for the course(s) you have requested and contact you with instructions to access course materials.
Non-Degree Student Tuition and Costs
As a non-degree student, you will be charged the current per-credit tuition rate for the academic year in which you are enrolled. Non-degree students are not charged any other fees, and no financial assistance or scholarships are available to non-degree students.
Current Tufts Employees
We welcome applications for non-degree status from current Tufts employees, however we are unable to assist with any questions about Tuition Remission or other employee benefits. Please contact Tufts Support Services to learn more about your benefits as early in the application process as possible.