We strongly encourage international students to start the online application process as soon as possible due to the extra time and paperwork involved in managing the student visa process. Admissions for the Public Health & Professional Degree Programs is on a rolling basis and applications are reviewed as they are received.
However, to prevent visa delays and to ensure you can begin your program during your desired semester, we strongly encourage international students to submit all application documents a minimum of two months prior to the beginning of the semester.
Information on arriving, VISA and frequently asked questions is available through our International Affairs Office.
Cost of attendance information >>
Visiting Campus >>
Please note, graduates of foreign medical schools will not be considered for the Physician Assistant program.
To prevent visa delays and to ensure you can begin your program during your desired semester, we strongly encourage international students to submit all application documents a minimum of two months
prior to the beginning of the semester.
SOPHAS - MPH and Doctor of Public Health applicants:
- Must submit an OFFICIAL (not unofficial) evaluation of coursework done by WES (using the COURSE-BY-COURSE Evaluation Package) or CED. It must be sent to Tufts directly from the evaluation agency.
- Copies of ALL undergraduate and graduate study, unofficial or official (e.g., EMT courses, study abroad, summer courses, post-bacc) are required. You may prefer to have your official transcripts sent from your academic institution via US mail. In this case, please upload a document with a note that indicates the institution(s) we should expect official transcripts from.
- WES or CED evaluations may be sent to the following address:
Tufts University School of Medicine
Public Health & Professional Degree Programs
Attn: Director of Admissions, Emily C. Keily
136 Harrison Avenue, Suite 142
Boston, MA 02111
MS in Biomedical Sciences (MBS) applicants:
International applicants are eligible to apply to Tufts University School of Medicine (TUSM), but should be advised that we admit very few and give strong preference to US citizens and permanent residents. We also give strong preference to applicants who have (or will have by the time of matriculation) completed their undergraduate work at a US college or university. The international students admitted to TUSM are usually students who have earned Bachelor's degrees in the United States.
“International applicants” are citizens of any foreign country (including Canada) who do not hold a United States permanent resident visa (green card). Permanent resident visa status is equivalent to US citizenship for the purposes of our admission process and US federal student loan programs.
Please note the following:
1) Given the current US shortage of physicians and the uneven advanced training opportunities for non-citizen/non-green card holders, TUSM and the applicant must have a compelling reason for the applicant to study here. This might include a student’s interest in a program offered here that may not be offered elsewhere.
2) Accepted international students must be prepared to absorb the high cost of US medical education, and have a full understanding that international students are not qualified for traditional US educational funding including loans and scholarships. Accepted international students may be asked to deposit the equivalent of 4 years tuition in escrow prior to matriculation.
3) Accepted international students should have a full understanding that they may have limited options in terms of post-graduate training, both geographically and in within specialties. Because of this, students who are not likely to be able to compete for a full range of career training opportunities and programs beyond medical school will only be considered for admission under unique or compelling circumstances.
CASPA - Physician Assistant applicants:
International applicants are eligible to apply to TUSM PA Program, but should be advised that we admit very few and give strong preference to US citizens and permanent residents. Please visit the following webpage
for detailed information about international applicants interested in our Physician Assistant program.