PHPD & Nutrition FAQ

What types of financial aid are available?
Financial aid can come in three forms:
  • Loans (both federal and private)
  • Limited partial scholarships
  • Federal Work Study funds
Who may apply for financial aid?
Applicants whose cost of attendance exceeds their family resources are encouraged to apply for financial aid. To be eligible, the applicant:
  • Must be accepted or enrolled at least half-time in a degree-seeking program
  • Must meet satisfactory academic progress standards
  • Must be a citizen of the United States or an eligible non-citizen
  • Cannot be in default with prior student loans
  • If male, you must comply with Selective Service Registration
  • Must have no prior drug convictions while receiving Title IV funds
Are there any assistantships available to students?
Assistantships are currently not available to students; however, students may apply for student employment (both on and off-campus), which may include Federal Work Study jobs. You may find more employment information online at Student Employment website.

What is federal work study?
Federal Work Study (FWS) is a need-based program designed to allow students to work part-time to assist with educational expenses. The Office of Financial Aid awards FWS funding to students that meet eligibility requirements. Students are responsible for notifying the Office of Financial Aid if they are interested in receiving FWS as part of their financial aid package. Employers may find students who are eligible for work study to be beneficial as a portion of the student’s earnings are subsidized by the federal government. More employment information may be found online at the Student Employment website.

What forms need to be completed annually to be eligible for financial aid?
  • Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
  • TUSM Financial Aid application

*Students may be required to submit signed copies of student’s (& spouse’s if applicable) prior-prior year Federal Tax Returns (including all schedules and W-2′s) if selected for the verification process.


Do I need to be attending full-time to be eligible for financial aid?
Students do not need to maintain full-time status but must be attending at least half-time to receive financial aid. The Office of Financial Aid will determine eligibility each semester based on the estimated number of credits that students plan to enroll in. It is imperative that students sign up for courses as early as possible if they are a financial aid recipient. While awards are based on estimated enrollment, the Office of Financial Aid must verify actual enrollment after the add/drop period has ended. If the actual credit hours are different than originally estimated, eligibility may change. Students should contact the Office of Financial Aid if they will be taking more or less credit hours than originally planned. Students who are not officially enrolled in classes at least half-time when funds are received will be considered ineligible and all funds will be returned to the lender.

What is the priority consideration date by which financial aid forms need to be submitted?

The priority consideration date for having financial aid applications submitted for the Fall 2017 semester is February 17th, 2017. Students who have submitted all paperwork to the Office of Financial Aid by the priority consideration date will begin to receive award notices beginning in late March.

For students who are beginning studies in the Spring 2018 semester, the priority consideration date is November 3rd, 2017. Students who have submitted all paperwork to the Office of Financial Aid by the priority consideration date will begin to receive award notices in December.

What is the penalty for applying after the priority consideration date?
Students will not be eliminated from consideration for any types of funding by applying after the priority consideration date. However, the Office of Financial Aid processes applications on a first-come, first-served basis; therefore, late applicants may experience a delay in the notification of their eligibility. Students would still be expected to meet all registration and bill payment deadlines even if they have not received financial aid award notices by those dates. Consequently, this may also cause a delay with disbursements and/or refund checks being issued.

Please be aware that loan eligibility may not be certified after the last day of classes. Students who are applying for financial aid late into the semester (within one month of the last day of classes), should contact the Office of Financial Aid to confirm that adequate time is available to process the request.

Do I need to include parental data on the FAFSA?
Graduate students are considered independent and the federal government does not require parental information to be included when determining a student’s eligibility.

How much can students borrow per year in Federal Stafford Loans?
The maximum amount a student can borrow in Federal Unsubsidized Stafford Loans is $20,500. Matriculated students enrolled in the Masters of Public Health program may be eligible to borrow an additional Unsubsidized Stafford Loan up to $12,500. Actual eligibility for these loan programs will be outlined on your financial aid award notice. As stated above, these amounts may change if students do not enroll in the number of credits that were originally estimated on the financial aid application.


Is there financial aid available during the summer session?
Yes, students are eligible to receive federal financial aid for summer course work if they meet the financial aid requirements above which include being enrolled on at least a half-time basis. The Office of Financial Aid combines the credit hours earned in Summer I and Summer II to determine eligibility for federal loans. The Office of Financial Aid may award any remaining Federal Stafford eligibility to be used for summer enrollment periods. If the student is otherwise eligible for financial aid but has no remaining Federal Stafford Loan eligibility, Federal Graduate PLUS loans may be awarded. As a last resource for students who may not be eligible for federal aid based on enrollment plans, the Office of Financial Aid may recommend a private alternative loan. The Office of Financial Aid recommends that students discuss available options if they are considering summer enrollment.

Are non-matriculated students eligible for financial aid?
Non-matriculated students are not eligible to receive federal financial aid. Students must matriculate into a certificate or degree program in order to be eligible.