This section contains both on and off-campus resources for students to help answer any questions they might have going through our program. This includes information on parking, service opportunities, student groups, housing, libraries, etc.
Places to Dine/Things to do
Housing & Transportation
Housing: Students live throughout Boston and the suburbs, with Beacon Hill, Back Bay, Brookline, North End, Cambridge, Brighton, South End, Somerville, Allston, South Boston, Jamaica Plain and Malden being the most popular (Malden, Jamaica Plain, and the North End all being on the Orange line make them ideal locations). When trying to decide where to live, you may want to consider commuting time to TUSM; neighborhood safety; local shops; whether overnight street parking is allowed; car insurance rates, which vary from town to town and are generally lower in the suburbs; whether other students will be available for car pools, support, etc. Most importantly, students should consider proximity to public transportation and neighborhood safety. You can refer here for other resources, as well as our Housing Guide.
Transportation: Transportation Guide
Public transportation: The Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA) provides subway, bus and commuter rail service throughout Boston and its suburbs. If you commute regularly, a MBTA semester pass will save you some money. Boston-based Health Sciences students are eligible to purchase an MBTA semester pass at a 20% discount over regular “T” prices. The program is administered by the Bursar’s Office, which is located on the first floor of Posner Hall (200 Harrison Ave. Suite 101 Boston, MA 02111). A Tufts ID must be presented when you pick up your pass, and each student is entitled to one pass only. Semester passes go on sale twice a year: Fall passes, for September through December, are purchased in July. Spring passes, for January through May, are purchased in November.
Parking Regulations for Tufts Students
- Parking is permitted only with a currently valid TSS (Tufts-Shared Services) parking sticker and parking coupon.(Parking coupons are available for purchase in the Parking Office located on the 1st floor of the Tremont St. Garage)
- Vehicle registration to prove ownership and Tufts identification card must both be presented to the Parking Office in order to obtain a sticker for one car.
- No in and out parking is allowed on the same parking ticket. If you do have occasion to leave the garage, a new ticket must be purchased on re-entry.
- The parking facilities do not allow long term storage of vehicles (overnight).
- Parking stickers are not transferable. Anyone who uses a lost, stolen or fraudulent sticker will be subject to loss of parking privileges. Questions regarding parking should be directed to the Parking Office, 617-636-5580.
Harold Street Garage: Weekdays 5:00am-2:00am. Closed on weekends/No overnight.
Traveler Lot: Weekdays 6:00am-1:00am. Closed on weekends/No overnight.
Tremont St. Garage: Friday 10:00pm-Monday 9:00am. One coupon/day.
Tufts Shared Services Parking Department
274 Tremont Street Garage, 1st floor
Tel: (617) 636-5580
Fax: (617) 636-1498
Hours: Monday - Thursday, 7:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.
Fridays- 7:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.